
It's come to my attention that there's been a trend among the blogging elite as of late. It seems that many blog-hers have decided to get all awesome and brave and post "real" pictures of themselves sans makeup (eek!) and tell the "real" ugly truth about their lives in an attempt to feel liberated and to let their readers know a little more about who they are.
Why then, would anyone want to forsake the great power of the delete button and the divine beautification of photo shop to put themselves out there for the world to see.......all nek-ked n' stuff?

You don't want to see what the hand is covering. It's quite possible I'm earless.ACK!
This is hard.
Why is such a stupid thing so stupidly hard for me to do?!
(This brings me to the second half of the challenge: Step #2 of Project Real: Post the deep, dark, REAL tidbits of your life that are hard- maybe even excruciating- to admit.)
Well.....
*I suppose it could be because I've been wearing the comforting mask that is "make-up" since 7th grade.
*There's a chance it's because I've come to rely on that mask so much that even my own family hasn't seen me without it except for the very rarest occasion such as a 5am airport pick-up or because I cried it all off watching The Notebook.
*Perhaps it's because I'm one of those weirdos who needs to apply the full mask for things like: trips to the ER, camping, working out, and giving birth (both times).
*It's possible that it might have something to do with the fact that I'm so neurotic, my girlfriends have strict instructions that if I should ever fall into a coma, they are to visit me daily with my Kaboodle (remember those?!) of make-up and dutifully paint, pluck, and preen my gauze wrapped face, so as not to offend the attending doctors and nurses.
It's pathetic, no?
But this is me. The "real" me who hides behind a wall of bronzer and lip gloss because she's too afraid to be real. The ugly truth of the matter is that if money was no object I'd probably be one of those scary "Cat Ladies" who has her plastic surgeon on speed dial and injects baboon booty fat into her cheeks.
Growing old gracefully...
Yeah. It's a scary thought. (Rawr!) But what really scares me, is that I'm suppose to be an example- nay, THE example- to 2 beautiful little girls. Little girls who haven't yet been influenced by the billboards, magazines, movies and TV shows that have me reaching for a paper bag to hide what I'm convinced is the opposite of what "they" think I should be.
I'm approaching 30, and I have to be honest, I thought I'd be over this social angst by now. I've been told since I was 20 how much easier it is to be "in your 30's". How self assured you become. How comfortable in your own skin. I fully expected to be floating around in my "Mama Cass" muumuu, barefoot, face scrubbed clean, preaching of the "natural beauty of the natural woman."
Instead I remain a scared, shivering little girl with a bag over her head.
Some example! (She says sarcastically.)
Fortunately, there is one pebble of knowledge that has wedged itself securely into the heel of my "twenty something" shoe as I travel to the "thirty and beyond" off ramp. And that is: with hard work and courage, we are capable of change. The good kind too! Not just the "change into stretchy pants because I was hard at work eating pecan pie" kind of change. Yum! But-no. I'm referring to the wonderful and fulfilling,"venture into the terrifying unknown and come out even stronger than ever" kind of change.
I know this because I have living, breathing examples of bravery all around me. My mother, who has never met a challenge she didn't like and/or master. My father, who left everything comfortable and easy behind so that his family would have a better life. My husband, who took a leap of faith on a silly Mormon girl and the religion she loves.
I have known people who have lost babies, been close to death with sickness, endured concentration camps, abuse and poverty. But the endings have been the same- with hard work and copious amounts of courage- they made a change for the better. They fought back, and flourished.
Some example. (She says, thankfully.)
With this knowledge- it's laughable that such a trivial challenge would cause my palms to sweat and my heart to palpitate. Perhaps it's because I know that if I can make this first baby step in the direction of change, I'll be that much closer to removing "the mask" for good.
Maybe some day soon, I'll see it less as a wall to hide behind and more of a way to enhance the beauty that is already there.
That's the lesson my little ones deserve.
The paper bag is off. The cosmetic crutch, nowhere in site. Without even the safety net of a side swept bang to hide behind- I give you the remnants of a stringy haired, pale faced, flu-torn, almost "thirty something" in full view.
Baby steps.....
I'm tearing up at the very thought of my tens of elevens of readers seeing this.


24 comments:
You're gorgeous, Christy. And great and example and great post. :)
I know how hard that was for you . . . but you are beautiful inside and out. I love you. Amy
Christy -- you are gorgeous with or without makeup on. Not only are you beautiful, you are talented, smart and funny :)
Have I ever told you what a fabulous writer you are? No wonder you always got A's in AP English and I didn't.
Also, I should've known you'd unwittingly insert some bit about "change" (the word so synonymous w/ your fave president now).
Also, I love that make-up-less face. It's you. It always has been. You are forever beautiful to me (although I wish that picture would have included some bad-@#* chains).
i just cried when i scrolled down and saw your gorgeous face. full of beauty.
i know that was hard. i love you. i'm proud of you. i have so much more to say but i'll save it for our next chat.
p.s. i will also be addressing the fact that you called me the blogging elite. embarassing. truly.
you are amazing! and very beautiful. i love how you write about the mask,and how different people can have different masks. it really does make one think!
Nice try, Chris, but you're just pissing off the really ugly people. ;)
Big brothers are the BEST aren't they? :)
And Kara- I got A's in AP Eng because I slipped Mrs. Butts twenty bucks during her smoke breaks.
Christy I just love you! and I am so proud of you, I was proud of you even for the hand over the face picture and then I got to the bottom! I have seen you without makeup a few times now and every time you are just gorgeous! Ya for change and growing!
Your makeupless picture is the equivalent of my glamour shot, you doof. When we're all old and grey and can't remember where we put the makeup, you're still gonna be the hottest one in the nursing home. I love you and I think you're beautiful no matter what!
You nerd. Look at yourself for reals next time you are in front of a mirror, m'kay?
;)
Girl you are HOT! Seriously I've never seen you without makeup but I think you look great! I will take your challenge into consideration... and depending on what the picture looks like post it! Thanks for another hilarious post : )
Oh my goodness Christy the last comment was from ME OLIVIA! I didn't realize I was logged in as AARON!!! Or maybe I'm just trying to cover for Aaron, I always did think he had a thing for you ha ha!
I love you, I love you, I love you...and you are SO beautiful! Stop shaking your head and thinking "No, your wrong", because I am 100% RIGHT, so get over it!!!! haha Seriously...Gorgeous!
P.S. I'm proud of you...I know it was hard for you?!
Now that is the Christy that I remember! You look exactly the same as you did in 7th grade. I can only hope that I age as gracefully as you are. You are gorgeous-always have been and always will be! <3
I love your post. I think you are amazing and I admire you so much for leaping out of your comfort zone. You are a wonderful example to all of us.
Way to go Christy! I think you're beautiful inside and out. I'm the same way...you can't catch me without my eyeliner!
Absolutely beautiful! :o)
I came over from Nat's blog. What a fun way to be introduced to you! I loved this post. Since I really don't know what you look like with make up I have nothing to compare your real face too. I have to say that you have been blessed with beauty and I cannot for the life of me understand why you need a kaboodle!
Your cute and fun to read...I'll be back ;)
LOVE it GG. XOXO
What you need is a good dose of apathy. I used to be one who could not go to the mailbox without full makeup on. But now I just don't care. I do get a little squeemish when I drop off/pick up Jacob from school and I see all the other cute moms there, but then I just think to myself "eh, who cares."
You have so much natural beauty! Slap some lipgloss on and go! See, it's so liberating! (and time saving)
I'll never forget when I was babysitting a child who was the spawn of Satan. He ended up chasing his little brother, and me, around the house with a very sharp kitchen knife. The neighbor (who was in our ward) came to my rescue. She was a woman who was always dressed to the nines, and never a hair out of place. In my emergency, she came running over with her wet hair secured on top of her head with a pick, and not a stitch of makeup on. After the crisis, she turned, pointed the knife at me and said "don't you dare ever tell anyone what I really look like." WOW. You don't want to be THAT lady, now, do you?
Lastly, if you stopped looking so dang gorgeous all the time, the rest of us could feel a little better about ourselves! *wink*
i think you look even better without make-up! love you
it's hard for me to not wear my mask too! but I've been getting more comfortable and carless without my mask! Kudos for baring it all! your skin looks great! I'm pale & proud of it :) And holy cow, I can see you in Mia soo much without the mask, it's adorable!
christy you are amazingly beautiful. who wudda guessed!!!:)
Post a Comment