The end of the holiday season is always bitter sweet for me. It seems to fly by at lightning speed, in a flash of twinkle lights, animatronic snow people, and worn out debit cards. (I believe I actually heard my card "sigh" the last time I used it.) Every year, I give myself a pep talk right before Thanksgiving. "This year you will slow down and enjoy the true spirit of the holiday season!"
And every year, I seem to fail miserably.
*Black and Blue Friday
Armed with nothing but the clothes on our back and the dream of retail prices being slashed in half, my friend Rachael and I braved the crowds at Anthem for an all night shopping extravaganza! We shopped from 11:00pm to 7:30am on Black Friday. I'm not gonna lie. It got a little ugly out there, and I may be suffering from PTSD (Post Traumatic Shopping Disorder). I still wake up in a cold sweat, screaming for the Disney Princess Vanity that I had to leave behind. But it was a rush the likes of which I haven't experienced since the great "Tickle Me Elmo" craze of '99.
*Zoo lights
It was an especially twinkly Christmas for us this year. We just could not get enough "light-seeing". We headed out to Zoo lights w/ Adam's sister, Amy, our Brother-in-law Rick, our nieces Sophie and Emma and Grandpa Bill. It was cold and crisp and a perfect start to the holiday season. The yummy hot chocolate and kettle corn didn't hurt either. It is one of our favorite traditions with Grandpa and the Wolff cousins! Where else can you see a giant, talking Giraffe with an affinity for knock-knock jokes?
Ava, Mimi, Emma, Sophie
A few nights later we went to Glendale Glitters w/ my Mom, Dad, sister Anne, brother Ed, sister-in-law Merry, and my nieces Katie and Karina. We shopped in antique stores, bounced in the bounciest of castles, and gorged ourselves on funnel cake. This must be what heaven is like...
The Gordon Clan
Karina, Ava, Katie, Mia
My little Mimi had her 2nd birthday. How is that possible?? I can’t type anymore about it or I will short out the keyboard with my tears.
*Christmas in the Time of Cholera
I think we were visited by every cold and flu out there this season. Every family member was hit with at least one strain- not one of us was spared. Our Christmas mugs were emptied of Eggnog and refilled with NyQuil, and our candy canes were replaced by cough drops. It was awesome.
*A Long Distance Call
On Christmas Eve I was able to talk with my sweet baby brother or "Marky Poo" as my sister and I fondly refer to him, who is serving a mission in Costa Rica. (He's just going to love that I'm sharing that nickname with everyone!) It was so wonderful to hear his voice. He humored his big sister and spoke "Costa Rican" for me. I was amazed at how comfortable he was with the language, as he rattled off phrase after phrase in perfect Spanish. We miss him so much, but more than that, we are so proud of the amazing man that he has become.
My sis and I after our chat w/ Mark.
*I'm in the "Dawg Pound". Randy said so.
My sweet niece, Emma received the American Idol Karaoke game for Christmas. It became a favorite pastime during our holiday gatherings with Adam's family. Amy and I took turns battling it out to become "Idols" while the little girls danced and sang along with us.
Yesterday, while Ava and I were playing in her playhouse, she handed me the phone with great urgency, which I took expecting to "talk" with a Grandma, a cousin or any number of imaginary friends. Instead, she placed one hand over the receiver and whispered excitedly,
"Mom! It's Jenny!'
"Jenny? Who's Jenny?" I asked.
"I remembered her number from that song. You know, "867-5309"!
We didn't think Ava would learn her 80's one-hit-wonder icons for a few more years. She'll be top of her class for sure. Thank you, American Idol.
Adam and our little Rick Springfield enthusiast.
HAPPY NEW YEAR!


7 comments:
So cute! Great post! (Keep your eyes peeled on my site...you're up for an award! Coming soon....)
finally an update! gee Christy!! I mean what do you do all day!!??? just kidding! Madi has the same shirt (with presents on it she wore it on her birthday too!) and we saw Mia in the hall on sunday... she was happy to see Madi! good luck with your new calling, you'll be great!!
Christy=THE most creative blogger! You inspire me!
By the way... that's my Mark's nickname too! (among others..)
love it!!!
Wow. The Hinikers always do so many amazing things. The only amazing thing you forgot was January 1st. Ah-hem. I'm assuming you just forgot.
BTW, I love that Ava knows Jenny. That deserves some "Sassy" props.
you phrase things soo cute! thanks for the sweet compliment, you're soo nice. Hopefully we can hang out sometime, it'd be fun to do some art projects together! Happy New Year!
YAY! A post, I've been waiting and waiting. Glad you guys had a great holiday except for the barfing! Love all the pictures!
Post a Comment