2/02/2009

Life Lessons from Milton Bradley



Nap time.


I believe those are the two most beautiful words in the English language. (Well, that and "chocolate cake", but let's not dissect my incessant need to eat my emotions just yet.) It's the time of day when my sweet Mimi must cease creating any new artistic renderings on my walls and head off to beddy-by for some much needed sleep. While Ava, sensing the rapid decent of her Mommy's sanity, retires to her room, not to be heard from until her self imposed "quiet time" is over.


I think most Moms will agree that this is a very necessary part of our day. Whether the time is used to complete a chore from start to finish (a very rare occurrence with a child under foot) or to sit for a moment and relish in the absence of screaming, whining and/or crying, nap time can be the answer to every worn out Mother's prayers.


However, one afternoon, after I had tucked little Mia into bed and began surveying the damage from what had to have been a pack of wild, rabid dogs and not two sweet little girls, I noticed Ava obediently gathering her belongings and starting for the stairs. Suddenly, a wave of sadness came over me. I was startled by how grown-up she looked. The temporary nature of our time together hit me like a ton of bricks.


I resisted the urged to rip into the box of powdered doughnuts that sat on my counter. ("Talk about your feelings, Christy, don't eat them!")


I couldn't let Ava go upstairs while the clock continued to tick away the minutes of our time together. Not today, anyway.


"Ava, do you want to play a game with me?"

She stood frozen on the stairs.


"B-but, it's quiet time." she stuttered. "Don't you want me to go to my room?"


I mentally recalled the countless times I had pointed to the stairs with a crazed look in my eye, threatening to sell my children on EBay if they did not take leave to their respective bedrooms for "quiet time". This could have had something to do with Ava's hesitation.


"That's OK, Avs. Let's just you and I play a game while Mia takes her nap".


Ava let out her trademark "squeal of approval" as she ran off to fetch Candyland. Her excitement translated into non-stop chatter as she carefully pulled out each piece of the game and assembled it. I silently scolded myself for not taking advantage of this one-on-one time sooner.


At the beginning of our game, Ava was flying high. She couldn't pick a bad card if she wanted to. I was trailing way back in the Peppermint Forest while her series of lucky draws had brought her clear to Lollipop Woods. I couldn't help but get caught up in her excitement as we clapped and cheered for every move she made toward the finish line.


With only a few more spaces to go, she turned over the next card.


"Yay! The Gingerbr- oh, wait a minute. The gingerbread space is way back at the beginning. Do I have to go to the beginning again Mom?!?"

Those giant blue saucers, we refer to as eyes, began to well up with tears. The sheer thought of starting the game all over again was devastating to her. It broke my heart. (This time the doughnuts won. Their white powder of shame stayed on my face for half the day.)


I wanted to fix the game for her. To invoke the "That card didn't count because you are so pretty" rule. But I knew that wouldn't help her the next time she sat down with her friends to play. I could picture them calling the game "on account of vain."


"I know it stinks, Honey, but sometimes we draw good cards, and sometimes we draw bad cards. I may win this game, but you could win the next time. The important thing is to have a good attitude when you play."


The thought of a win somewhere in her future gave her the strength to finish out the game. She even mustered up a very genuine "Yay Mommy!" when I won. We continued on to play 2 more games and subsequently, she won both of them. I was thrilled.


As she happily picked up the stray cards and put the game away, I was struck once again with a wave of sadness. Soon enough, she will be spending more time away from me than with me, and I won't have any control over the "cards" she is dealt. Of course I will clap and rejoice for every good card she chooses, but I know that when I look into her tear-filled eyes, I will desperately want to "fix" things when the game isn't going her way. Is there anyway life will accept the "because she's so pretty" rule?

One thing I know for sure, I will always be there to cheer her on, win or lose, no matter how many times she needs to start the game over.


Well, me and my box of doughnuts, that is.....


14 comments:

Amber said...

Okay, now I'm not an emotional person at ALL, but this totally brought tears to my eyes because I know Brekkyn will be at the stage soon enough. I try to soak up all the time I can possible get with her. Thank you for this post, it actually took me back to my childhood and memories of the countless times my mom, older sister, dad (and even some of my dad's friends) played Candy Land with me. Your daughters are GORGEOUS just like their mommy. Thanks again for the post, it really brightened my day!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for making me cry Christy! Are you going to share those doughnuts now or what?!? It's so true! Guess I better go break out the Candy Land!

Kim said...

It is hard to see them grow up and start to pull away. Tyler's 13 and he does do a lot more with his friends now, but we're lucky that he still wants to spend some time with us and play games and talk and things. I just don't know how long it will be before hangin with mom and dad just doesn't cut it anymore.
And in those times that you spend with her, you are creating a wonderful bond with her that she will want to hold on to.

Teri said...

awe... thats so sweet. I feel your saddness as well. Miss Madi is running now, she doesnt even walk... they grow too fast... saddness...... by the way I wish my kids ran to quiet time.. at least once! miss ya! we should get together soon :)

Amie said...

So Sweet, Christy. Great reminder!

HOWEVER--if you look at the rules, it clearly states you don't have to go backwards if you draw a card you have already passed. I think Milton Bradley knows the dear hearts of our younguns. You are only to use those cards to go forwards, not back. =) I quote: "...the old rules allowed for you to move forward or backwards when drawing such cards, while the new rules do not permit moving backwards."

You're such a cheater.

Kendra said...

Christy, you are such a talented writer, and a wonderful Mommy. I think Heavenly Father gives us these reminders sometimes by gently hitting us over the head. I've done the same thing at times. I sometimes find myself looking forward to nap time an hour after they wake up. But, every now and then, I open my eyes and see the longing for some Mommy time, and those are the sweetest moments.

I am really trying to focus on, and live in the now. I don't want to wake up someday, when my children are gone, and wonder where the time went. I want to know the time was spent having princess tea parties, building huge train mazes, and playing hours of board games.

Thanks for the sweet reminder!

Kara said...

That post really made me think. So I looked up from my lunch and began to chit chat with Makenna, taking advantage of the moment. Then, without warning, she throws her entire lunch on my clean floor. After which, I state, "Let's go. It's time for a nap."

Anonymous said...

i have had that same experience with keaton, sanity can wait. thats why we have the doughnuts right?

Anonymous said...

How about visiting teaching this month at Krispy Creme? Except the only place that i know of out here that sells them is Cobblestone, so car washes and donuts Thursday morning?

Cuties said...

Well now that I have wiped my tears, I know exactly what Ella is getting for Valentines...Candy Land!

Sher said...

I love how you turned this event into a metaphor. It's so neat to know that the time you spend to create that special bond and friendship will mean the world to your little girl as they get older. Especially when adolescence and the heart breaking moments come. I know my mom is definitely my hero and I've admitted that "mom does know best" ;)
great post.

Jenna said...

Ava has told me all about her candy land game. I can totally hear her squeal of delight! I never realized how nice the one on one time is until I had Natalie. But alas, I don't take advantage of it nearly enough. And yes, powdered donuts are lovely and necessary in times of stress.

Anne Gordon said...

Dang it, Chris. Way to make me cry...again. I love you and I love Flava Flave. Tell her I miss her.

Rachael said...

Sweet baby girl! I dont care what the "rules" say, you got a mommy gold star! And Rocked a learning moment.