Mommies can play "pretend" too.
This week, as I stared at one of the many overflowing toy boxes that have taken over our lives since having children-
(Remember how uncluttered things were before the mountains of toys and books? In my heaven, I imagine that the blocks and Barbies will obediently march themselves to the closet on my command as I sing a cheerful tune a la Mary Poppins. Funny how it always comes down to musicals when I dream.....)
Anyhow, I was staring at these overflowing toy boxes and decided it was time for our bi-monthly toy purge. Especially when taking into account all of the Christmas/birthday spoils that will soon be added to what is already an embarrassment of loot. The girls usually like this tradition because it means they get to help decide what we "Sell to the poor children". (Ava's words. She is her father's daughter after all- looking for small business opportunities at every turn. I believe she made mention of selling the free newspapers that gather up by our front door to our neighbors for $.25 a pop. We're working on the whole "supply and demand" concept.) At any rate, the chaos commenced and toys were chosen to be carted off to D.I. along with a few unused baby items.
And this would be the explanation for the above picture of my *almost* 2 year old with a binky. The funny part is, she never took a pacifier as a baby. Neither of my girls did. But, now, Mia has discovered this funny little mouth plug and thinks it's hilarious to walk around with it in her mouth. Adam teased, "You're not a baby-you're a big girl!" I giggled along with him, but as he went to pull out the paci, I heard myself whine, "Aw, let her keep it!"
What am I doing??? I'm encouraging my (stubborn) 2 year to old to engage in a dependant relationship with something that parents agonize over removing from their toddlers' tightly clenched jaws? I'm crazy!!
But as I looked at that cherubim face, sucking on, what is described by some parents as "baby crack", it hit me. She looks like a baby with that thing in her mouth. It had taken me back, to that place in my mind, where she was a cooing, helpless infant. I had to resist the urge to lay her down and swaddle her in a 'baby burrito'.
But she's not a baby anymore. She'll be TWO next month. She's talking in complete, albeit run-on, sentences. She opens doors by herself. She runs with the "big girls", and can count to 10.
Oh no.
When did this happen...........and why does it hurt so much?
What's that you say? If this is hard for me, than how am I dealing with Ava starting Kindergarten next year?
I'm doing ju-just f-fine, thank you.
I wonder if I can get Ava to keep a binky in her mouth.....
She always wears pearls to business meetings.


7 comments:
awe thats so hard they get big so fast.... I am in agony as well as Madi is almost 1.... missing her cuddle with me all burrowed in a blankey.... maybe you need another?? ;)
That's right! Happy B-Day Madi!
Oh, and very funny Teri! ;)
That's what I was thinking...the baby bug has bitten, time for another
And yes, you're nuts, Christy!
Christy my friend it sounds like someone is a teeny tiny bit BABY HUNGRY!!!!
Mia is still a baby. Cause if she is not a baby then my baby Wyatt is for sure not a baby and I know he is still my little baby that gets washed with the baby soap and smells so good. Right?
I don't think you were bitten by the baby bug! I just think you are a super great Mom who loves her sweet girls! We all wish we could keep our kiddos little forever! =) But hey if you want to add a few more to the mix- more power to ya! The more, the merrier! ;)
Awe, yes! Sounds like the baby bug. Although I feel like that at times about my 6 month old!! As for the paci...Ella was and still is at times a child on crack! I know, I know, time to throw the plug!
Post a Comment