11/24/2008

Buddha: Laughing with me, or at me?

This guy goes back for seconds.

In honor of the Thanksgiving holiday, and what it stands for, I've been making an effort to be more positive. I came across this quote and it’s simplicity really put a lot of things into perspective for me.

"Let us rise up and be thankful, for if we didn't learn a lot today, at least we learned a little, and if we didn't learn a little, at least we didn't get sick, and if we got sick, at least we didn't die; so, let us all be thankful."
-Buddha
*
Well said, wise little man. It is so easy for me to be grateful for my incredible family, the many amazing friends who surround us, and the countless blessings that we receive. But, I'm not always great at recognizing my trials as blessings, which is embarrassing knowing some of the unthinkable tragedies many people face every day. I need to begin viewing the negative moments, even those little, daily annoyances, in a more positive light.


So, here it goes:

Negative: Mia dropping all of her markers into the toilet.
Positive: She didn't flush.

Negative: The two very "ouchy" blisters in between my little toes.
Positive: Knowing I've earned them fair and square with every mile I have run.

Negative: Ava asking me if she can live at Ms. Dean's house instead, because "it's more fun there".
Positive: She has craft and story time. I think might pack a bag and see if she has any room for me.

Negative: Discovering 2 Sippy cups under the back seat of the car.
Positive: We have customized our very own "rancid milk" scent. I think I'll tie a ribbon 'round the cup and hang it from our rearview mirror.

Negative: Mia's incessant need to remove all of her clothing, diaper included, every 5 minutes.
Positive: Those "Nudist Colony Preschool" flyers, might finally come in handy.

Negative: Gaining 10lbs over Thanksgiving weekend.
Positive: A little more padding for my Santa suit.

Negative: Mia chomping on old celery that she fished out of the garbage.
Positive: She's eating her vegetables.


HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!

9 comments:

lyn said...

Oh, I love it! Sounds like you've got your hands full :) Thankfully, though, right?!

Linsey Farley Jameson said...

ROFL!!! Way to see the bright side Christy!!

Negative: I haven't seen the Hinikers in months
Positive: In a month I get to spend time with them.

WOOOT!!

Amy♥ said...

Absolutely love it! You are such an inspiration to me and I'm thankful we're friends! I need to follow your lead! =)

Cuties said...

You are so right! I'll try to be more positive too!

Anne Gordon said...

Oh Chris,

Way to go! Excellent positive outlook. Now you'll live longer, too. :) My favorite one was about Mia eating her vegetables. Who cares where they come from, eh? :) You're the best. Love YOU!

Jenna said...

You are so cute! I love how you twisted everything around, very creative. Tell Ava I can't wait to see her this week!

Anonymous said...

Love it Christie! I needed that today. thanks!

Kara said...

You crack me up girlfriend. Maybe I'll start hiding vegetables in weird places around my house so Makenna will start eating them.

Also, 16 more days and I will be in your hood!

heather said...

way to think positive. You really will look back and laugh. Although I do still find old food in the back of the car. Now it is cheeseburgers and stuff. gross. You did a great job by the way for enrichment the other night. It was a wonderful night, and I enjoyed it. Thank you.