She's even willing to share a Snickers! Who's that nice?
A little word association to celebrate my sister-in-law's day of birth:
*
Mother
Amy is one of the greatest Mommies I know. It has been her dream to hold that hallowed title from the day she was able to lovingly wrap her dolly in a blanket. Some children have dreams of fame and fortune. Amy dreamed of helping her little ones pick out socks for 'Crazy Sock Day' at school and accompanying them on field trips to various chocolate factories. And what June Cleaver merely portrayed on T.V., Amy personifies in her daily life. She finds joy in menial, everyday tasks that I tend to take for granted. Story time makes her giddy with excitement. Volleyball practice has her beaming with pride. She is a constant example to me of selflessness and unconditional love. Her girls worship her. My girls worship her. Really. It is not uncommon for Mia to wake up asking for "My Amy". Even more recently she made this request in Disneyland! Yeeeaah.....it's not looking good for me.
*
Sister
My husband likes to recount stories of his adventures w/ his Big Sister. The time she took him to the hospital when he needed stitches. The many times she volunteered to take him along to the movies-even though she would be w/ her "cool" older boyfriend. And, how much it meant to him during his college years, that she so willingly shared her home and young family at a time when he needed it most. I came into the picture around this time and immediately felt the warmth and generosity that he had so often described. And just like that, she became mine! My big sister.
My little sister, Anne and I were talking on the phone about Amy's upcoming birthday when she declared, "I love Amy. She is so great. I hope if that if my future husband has a sister, she will be as awesome as Amy." To which I replied,"You can't have her! She's mine!" and hung up on her. I guess I still have a lot to learn from Amy about being a big sister....
*
Friend
The phrase,"To the ends of the Earth" comes to mind when thinking about Amy's devotion to her friends. I know what you're thinking. She is beginning to sound a little too good to be true. Luckily for me, she isn't. She's the friend who continues to call and check on you everyday, until she is sure there is no trace whatsoever of the flu left in your body. She will remember to inquire about each family member-by name- even if you have only recently met. She has driven friend's parents to the hospital, babysat gaggles of children, met distraught friends at a moments notice to be their "shoulder", and the list goes on.....
*
Adam knows that I have inherited all rights and privileges when it comes to his sister. Only if I were faced with a King Solomon situation would I be willing to part ways. But even then, I might be tempted to keep at least half. She is just that loved.
*
HAPPY BIRTHDAY AMY!!
*
(No "Little Sisters" were actually harmed in the writing of this post.)


5 comments:
Amy IS amazing!! She is such a KIND, wonderful, and genuine person.
I want her to be MY sister! No fair!
Happy Birthday, Amy!
I heart Amy! She is such a great person. Happy Birthday Amy!!
I know you've probably been told that I used you in my talk at Leadership training the other day, but this post just confirms everything I said about you. Amy is probably more the way she is because you see her as that and tell her. I need to be around you more. You are full of beautiful words and make EVERYONE around you feel the best about themselves. I'm a stranger to you and probably have received the biggest self esteem boots of this year from you - written randomly on Shelby's blog or said to me in a hallway at church. You are amazing Christy and you have a beautiful, Christ-like talent. I'm so glad to know you!
(And you're gorgeous and have a singing voice like and angel.)
When is the post "K is for Kara?"
I found your blog. Your are a pro already. So cute. How did you do the awesome picture thing at the bottom?
Post a Comment